Saturday, April 11, 2009

CHANGING OURSELVES TO CHANGE THE WORLD



(quoting Van Jones, from "A License to be Human" Orion Magazine, May-June 2009)

Activists have gotten trapped by either/or, which says that since ultimately there are real limits to our freedom under the present system, we have to change the system first. "I'm going to change them, and then I'm going to change me," as opposed to saying, "Well, I've got to change both them and me, and probably the first step to changing them is changing me." You do need a structural analysis to understand the way capitalism works, but you can't do all your work from that perspective. The transformation that we seek in the world is very deep. In order for us to be in service to that, our transformation has to be very deep as well.

Please click on "Commments" below to share your response.

Photo: Sir Mervs

No comments: